Reasons why natural products are better than plastic products for kids
Invented in the year 1907 under the name of Bakelite, the demand for plastic products have risen exponentially. Plastics are petrochemical products which are easy to shape. Other reasons for which it became famous is that they are cheap and long-lasting. Though it can be useful in some cases, they pose a great threat to both living creatures and the environment. Scientists compared the natural baby products vs. plastic baby products and found out many adverse effects of plastic on kids.
Plastics are involved in every aspect of our life. Major developments in the health and food safety sectors were possible due to the non-degradable plastics. Plastics are of many kinds, and the frequently used one is Polyethylene terephthalate or PET. Many studies have shown how dangerous plastic can get.
Below are some of the reasons to choose natural products over their plastic counterparts.
Natural baby products vs Plastic baby products -
1. According to a study, Bisphenol A or BPA is present in 80% of teenagers. BPA is used in plastic products to make it more impact-resistant. Food packaging, DVDs, medical devices, baby bottles, and infant feeding cups also use this chemical during manufacture. BPA can also be ingested and absorbed by touching. Once it reaches the system, it mimics the work of the estrogen hormone and messes with the endocrine system. Endocrine gland controls most of the functions of the body, including metabolism, sleep, and sexual functions. It has an adverse effect on the foetus and young children and results in underdeveloped systems and neurological disorders in children. A higher amount of BPA is harmful to kidney and liver functions. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned the use of BPA in any baby products, including the toys. They insist on using organic baby toys instead of BPA made toys.
2. A 2015 study conducted by IPEN showed that most of the toys contain contaminants of electronic wastes. Another study by the IPEN showed that toys are contaminated by OctaBDE or DecaBDE. OctaBDE and DecaBDE are bioaccumulative toxins. Most of the recycled plastics are used to make toys for the children. If any contaminated product makes its way to the recycler, then the contaminant can be found in all the new products. Countries that rely on plastic products recycle a large number of plastics at a time. It is possible to find these harmful compounds in those products. These compounds can cause affect brain development and reproductive health. Best way to avoid these chemicals is by preventing the baby from licking any of the products. Avoid plastic toys for infants, which retains chemical residue. All natural baby products are the best alternative to avoid these chemicals.
3. Many liquid-based baby products contain phthalates. Phthalates are a chemical compound similar to the compounds that enhance the fragrance of a product. Phthalates are widely known to cause kidney and liver damage. It also affects testosterone- male sex hormone. Exposure to this chemical at an early age can cause a severe impact on the male reproductive system. Foetal exposure can cause infertility. The best way to avoid is to use organic products with fewer chemicals.
4. Parabens are another chemical compound easily found in baby products. This chemical compound is responsible for causing allergies and some endocrine system-related issues. It can interfere with the function of the endocrine system and can cause metabolism, sleep, mood, and growth issues. Skincare products of both adults and children contain this. It can cause premature aging and cause more sun damage. Another major problem paraben cause is during pregnancy. Using paraben products during pregnancy is harmful. It can find its way to the foetus through the blood system. Exposing the foetus to this chemical can develop many endocrine and immune system issues.
5. PVC or polyvinyl chloride is a widely used plastic. These contain chemicals like vinyl chloride, phthalates, and vinyl dioxin. These chemicals are responsible for asthma, reproductive issues, and allergies. One of the alternatives is PVC free plastics, but it may not be secure, as many residual chemicals may remain in the product. The way to avoid chemicals is to use organic products like wood or bamboo products.
Plastic products are harmful to both living organisms and the environment. Children, especially infants, are more vulnerable to the chemicals in these products. Exposure at an early stage to these chemicals can cause many health-related issues. Some of these issues include the endocrine system and hormones.
On the other hand, organic products have fewer chemicals. There are also better alternatives to plastic, like glass. It is a wise choice to choose glass over plastic bottles to avoid BPA. Products made from wood, bamboo, and other natural products are a good alternative for plastics.
Overall, plastic has done more harm than good since its invention.