Bilona Cow Ghee, the Universal Elixir of Life
Ghee in India is one of the most revered and sacred, finding its place in holy rituals, temples and of course in almost every delicious food that we prepare. Of late, the Desi Ghee has become very popular among foodies, connoisseurs, and even health-conscious urban consumers. The reasons are not uncommon and find their roots in the wisdom of food that India has carried for thousands of years.
But what actually is a Desi Ghee?
Desi Ghee or Bilona Ghee is also called as the golden medicine of Ayurveda. It is also called clarified butter. The original process involves turning a desi cow’s milk into curd. Then it is churned to separate butter (makhan). And then the butter is boiled to get the Bilona cow ghee. The important thing to remember here is that the cows are desi in nature, i.e., they are Indian bred cows and not jersey cows. There are specific physical characteristics of a desi cow which differentiates it from the imported or hybrid cows.
Health Benefits: How is Bilona cow ghee better than ordinary ghee?
Thousands of pages have been written about the health benefits of Bilona cow ghee. But here are some important points you should not miss.
- It helps in digestion and absorption of vitamins: The liver processes the fatty acids in desi ghee very quickly and breaks it into energy. It helps in the body’s absorption of fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K.
- For vitality and immunity (also called Ojas): The ojas in our body is responsible for immunity, healthy reproductive functions, and overall vitality. One of the main ways of building ojas in our bodies is by eating ojas-building foods. And Bilona ghee tops the list. The abundantly available Vitamin A in Bilona helps in removing free radicals from the body and boosts immunity.
- Anti-ageing properties: Bilona is one of the most powerful anti-ageing solutions. It keeps the cells healthy and the skin youthful.
- Can be used on the skin for external applications: It can be used in beauty therapies too. Take a spoonful of Bilona ghee and simply rub it on your skin including the face. Regular use will give you impressive results.
- Detoxifies the body: Consuming Bilona with regular meals brings toxins out of the body. Ghee helps in dissolving the lipid soluble toxins which are passed through the digestive tract for elimination.
- Heals the intestinal wall: The butyric acid in this ghee repairs the mucosal walls nourishes intestinal cells and even reduces leakage of undigested food particles. You want to improve the digestive tract, bet on Bilona.
- Development of children’s brain: Bilona improves memory and strengthens the nervous system. It is the most ideal for growing children. Lactating mothers can use it to boost the supply of milk to the baby. Even children with lactose intolerance can benefit from the desi ghee.
- Increases the power of herbs: Herbal preparations use ghee as the carrier oil since it can carry the medicine deep inside the body. In fact, desi ghee is an important part of Chywanprash which has many herbs mixed in it. The power of Chyawanprash is delivered with the use of desi ghee.
Is it possible to get pure Bilona ghee?
We live in an age of processed and instant foods. So this question is quite natural. But to your surprise, pure Bilona ghee is still available in the market. It is not commonplace though, but with some effort, you can have a regular supply. One such source is the Greenstation.co where they prepare Bilona using the traditional method and thus retain the purity which is required for the various applications mentioned above.
As Indians, we love the diverse food culture we so proudly celebrate. With the proper and regular use of Bilona cow ghee in our daily food preparations, we can ensure a culture of health for the whole family.